The challenge in being a remote trouble shooter is that you can not see the screen and can not touch the computer, so this requires a logical set of questions:
- What were you doing at the time of the error?
- What exactly does the error message say?
- What are you trying to do?
- Why are you trying to do that?
- Have you tried this before?
- What was different this time?
- What else is running on your computer?
Now all this has changed for me with LogMeIn. NOTE: I do not own any stock or have any financial interest in LogMeIn - I am just a HUGE fan :-)
I heard about LogMeIn on Leo Laporte's This Week In Tech (TWiT) podcast. I thought I would give it a try as Leo has a great reputation in terms of his likes and dislikes regarding technology. Cars - he should sell his new Mustang GT and get a Corvette :-)
The install really could not be any easier. You install LogMeIn on the remote system you want to manage and install a plugin for your browser on the system you will be using to talk to the remote system.
After you login, below is an example of what you see. This screen shows the three computers at my parents house.