Monday, January 18, 2010

ZL-1 Corvette Stingray and the Corvette ZR1

I get a number of Corvette magazines and auto magazines each month.  The February 2010 Motor Trend has an article on Spectacular Supercars.  Number eight on the list is the 1969 ZL-1 and at the 20th slot is the 2009 ZR1.  I have never seen a ZL-1 live, but I have seen multiple ZR1s live. 

I did not realize that the ZL1 engine was available on Camaros as well during that time frame.  What is most interesting about the ZL-1 is that there is a widely held belief that there were only two ever manufactured - a yellow one and a white one.  However, the article below points out that there was a ZL1 engine option available for $4,700.   That was a LOT of money in 1969 for a single option on a car, even a Corvette's racing engine option.

If money was no object, I would buy a new ZR1 3ZR (high end option) and use it as my daily driver.  I would go with the Cyber Gray Metallic or Black exterior color option.   I think the ZR1 is the absolute best bang for the buck of any car out there.  The Nissan GT-R owners might argue with me.  I would argue that while the GT-R certainly has impressive numbers, however, if it has four seats, it ain't a sports car :-)

Since it was 48 degrees today, I washed my Corvette and my wife's Mini Cooper S so I guess I am thinking about sports cars....

Information on the ZL-1 Corvette Stingray can be found here.

Information on the ZR1 can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment